Premises Liability Injuries

Newark Premises Liability Injuries Attorney

Did Dangerous Property Conditions Cause You to Fall?

The New York & New Jersey personal injury law firm of Robert A. Solomon, P.C. has years of experience fighting for injured victims of premises liability. If you have slipped, tripped, fallen, or been otherwise hurt by the dangerous property conditions of a negligent party, you may be entitled to compensation.

Contact us by calling 800-469-6476. We offer a free consultation and are available for evening and weekend appointments.

For more information review our New York & New Jersey Slip and Fall Injury section.

What is Premises Liability?

Premises liability cases can arise when an individual is injured on another person's property. Property owners and businesses have a duty to maintain safe property conditions for customers, pedestrians, and other visitors, and effectively warn them of possible dangers. These types of cases most often involve slip and fall accidents, when a defective condition, foreign substance, or object causes a fall.

When a visitor to a property suffers a preventable injury, the law of premises liability determines the responsibility of the property owner or manager. The law applies both to residences and places of business. The key to slip and fall accident cases is to prove that the property owner or manager was negligent and your injury resulted from their negligence.

Commercial and Residential Premises Liability

Our firm represents people who have been injured in a both commercial premises liability and residential premises liability Link to Residential Premises Liability cases:

  • Slip-and-falls or trip-and-falls caused by slippery floors, standing water, ice, or snow, damaged or uneven walkways, broken stairs, or poor upkeep
  • Inadequate security (lights, surveillance) resulting in a preventable assault by a third party
  • Construction site injuries, particularly those involving persons other than workers
  • Pool drownings
  • Falling trees
  • Products falling off of shelves at a store

Proving Negligence

Proving negligence is the key in your New York or New Jersey premises liability case, but it can be difficult. One reason is that a property owner might make quick repairs before you even file a claim. If possible, take photographs of the accident scene and your injuries, and write down the names and addresses of any witnesses.

A property owner is not responsible simply because someone was injured on his or her property. The property owner has to be proven negligent. The owner of the property must pay for losses caused by the dangerous condition of the property if the injured person can prove:

  • The condition of the property was dangerous.
  • The owner knew, or should have known, about the dangerous condition.
  • The owner had a reasonable opportunity to correct or warn of the condition, which was not reasonably open and obvious to the injured party at the time of the accident.

What Kind of Compensation Can I Expect for My Injuries?

If you are injured because a property owner or a business establishment fails to provide a safe environment, you have a right to bring a claim for your pain and suffering, medical expenses, and lost wages:

  • Pain and Suffering — Pain and suffering are real and measurable. The law and most insurance companies grade pain as severe, moderate, slight or minimal, as well as periodic or chronic. Expected future pain can greatly increase a claim for damages. Suffering can include depression, changes in lifestyle, anxiety, or even relationship troubles after an injury. No dollar amount can erase pain and suffering, but you deserve compensation.
  • Expenses — You should receive compensation for all reasonable expenses you have paid as a result of the accident, as well as future expenses. This includes medical bills, transportation, help in taking care of your family members, and other household help.
  • Lost Wages — You should receive compensation for any loss of wages you suffer as a result of your accident, as well as any future income loss. Additionally, you should be compensated for a loss of earning capacity, such as a permanent disability that restricts your competitiveness in the job market. Our firm is very skilled at recognizing the different types of income losses.

Contact Us

For more information about premises liability law in New York or New Jersey, contact our law office by calling 800-469-6476. We offer a free initial consultation.